As part of its energy management action plan, ANME has set up the PROMOFRIGO programme as a key initiative for significantly reducing domestic electricity consumption.
The programme, which starts in 2021 and lasts for five years, aims to renew inefficient older refrigerators and replace them with more efficient equipment of energy class 1.
The project aims to achieve the following objectives:
Over a period of five years, the replacement, with new energy efficient (class 1) units, of 400,000 refrigerators over ten years old and in energy classes higher than 3.
The secure recovery and recycling of old refrigerators.
With these objectives, the programme will bring the following benefits, including energy saving, which will result in
- A reduction in future State subsidies for electricity consumption;
- A reduction in consumers’ energy expenditure;
- Protection of the environment;
- CO2 reduction as a result of energy savings;
- The secure destruction of HCFC gas;
- Development of the Tunisian economy’s industrial sector following the increase in sales generated by the increased replacement of worn-out refrigerators;
- Development of new sectors in the economy, related to the recycling of old refrigerators.
The choice of refrigerators as the target appliance is particularly relevant, given that cooling constitutes the most significant element in the energy consumption of Tunisian households.
As shown in the following graph [not visible] from STEG residential surveys, the average energy consumption of refrigerators was 38% between 1989 and 2014. [OT1] ANME undertook the design of the institutional and financial mechanisms of this programme.
Italian Overseas Development Aid is providing financial assistance for the pilot phase, which consists of replacing 5,000 refrigerators in the governorate of Tozeur from 2021.